Saturday, September 6, 2008

in a blink of an eye watch me grow

Last night I was cleaning out an old box of stuff when I came across a present I had received at a baby shower before Ella was born. It was a picture frame keepsake kit. You make an imprint of your baby's foot and hand and then put a picture between them. So cute.... the thing is I forgot all about it and my baby is almost one already! I was sitting there upset with myself for being too busy this last year to ever get around to doing it when I realized I was really sad. I mean really sad. I pretty much was on the verge of tears. I kept setting there wondering why I was so upset and then it hit me. My baby is growing up. She will be one on the 10th and I can't even believe it. Most of the time I am very happy when I think about her growing up and all the new things she will experience, but last night I hated it. I no longer can lay her down in my arms and rock her to sleep.... she won't let me. I no longer can fall asleep with her on the couch... once again she won't let me. She no longer is trying to crawl towards me, but trying to walk away from me. You might think I am being dramatic or over-exaggerating, and maybe I am, but I can't help it! I gave birth to her and now she is well on her way out of the house. Ok, I know that is a while away, however, is it not my job to get her ready to be on her own? Sigh. I just hope she will always know how much I love her. So, I want to tell everyone that if you just had a baby or when you have a baby cherish EVERY moment while they are little! I know that everyone says that, but honestly it is so true. I do not know where this last year went. I wish I would have taken more pictures and spent more time just enjoying her. So, I have decided that until she no longer lets me I am going to go down stairs after she falls asleep and pick her up and rock her. This is the only time these days that she is still and lets me hold her. I will try to cherish this time until it also ends. I will leave you all with some wonderful pics....













6 comments:

Tim said...

She's so cute! It was so good to see you guys the other day and hang out with you guys . . . sorry Courtney couldn't be there. . .but we'll be there for Ella's party! See you guys this weekend.

Brandon and Savannah Eaton said...

This post reminds me of that children's book Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. You probably shouldn't read it. It will probably make you feel even worse. It's a good book though.

Betsy said...

gosh, this makes me sad. i already can't stand it that he's grown in 2 weeks!! i can't even rock him to sleep without getting teary eyed that he's going to be grown up someday. so are you saying we shouldn't try to break the habit of him only falling asleep on us...

Taylor said...

Well, I wait for months for you to finally update, and when you do you rip my heart out. Thanks.


Naw, just kidding...I love it.

Unknown said...

nicole- i totally know how you feel! when molly turned 1, i was so sad. i am excited to think of the future, but i do miss the "lazy" days of early mommyhood :)

Smiles said...

Oh Sweetie, I'm so happy you're having these thoughts and feelings...these are the signs of a 100%, through and through Momma who has fallen head over heals in love with her baby!!! This emotional roller coaster will never end but it's the best, most fun "ride in the park"!!
As far as the "keepsade kit", these little hick-ups will happen all through Ella's life. These are the checks and balances that keep us trying harder as parents but know for every little "hick-ups" that comes your way you'll have given Ella a million little smiles on the off-set.
You are an awesome little Momma and Ella is lucky to have you to love and care for her. I'm proud of you!!
XO